Lamb Rogan Josh Curry Recipe
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
625g (1 1/4lb) boneless lamb cut into chunks
2 onions, sliced
3 crushed garlic cloves
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh root ginger
2 cinnamon sticks
6 green cardamom pods
4 tablespoons medium curry paste
400g canned chopped tomatoes
6 tablespoons tomato puree
1 teaspoon sugar
400ml (14fl oz) lamb stock
chopped fresh coriander to garnish
1. Heat half the oil in a large casserole dish and cook the lamb in small batches for 3-4 minutes until browned, then remove and set aside.
2. Add the remaining oil to the dish and add the onions. Cook for around 12 minutes over a medium heat stirring often until they are soft and lightly browned.
3. Add the garlic, cinnamon, ginger and cardamom pods, stir fry for 2 minutes and then add the curry paste and lamb. Stir fry again for 3 minutes then stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree, sugar and lamb stock.
4. Reduce the heat, cover the dish and simmer very gently for around 2 – 2 1/2 hrs or until the lamb is nice and tender.
5. Remove from the heat and serve garnished with chopped fresh coriander if you desire.