Light Lemon Souffles
125g (4oz) granulated sugar
125ml (4 fl oz) lemon juice
60g (2 oz) caster sugar
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 egg whites (at room temperature)
Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Firstly preheat oven to 375F / 190C.
2. In a medium-sized saucepan combine the granulated sugar, lemon juice and zest and cook over a medium heat whilst stirring until all the sugar is dissolved. Reduce the heat once sugar has dissolved and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract.
3. Using a large bowl, add the egg whites and beat them until soft peaks form when the whisk is lifted up. Gradually add the caster sugar and continue to beat the mixture until it is thick. Meanwhile, bring the lemon mixture back to a boil. While whisking add 60ml (2 fl oz) hot lemon mixture into the egg whites and beat until very light and fluffy. Will take around 5 minutes.
4. Divide the remaining lemon mixture among six ramekins (about 2 teaspoons per cup). Divide egg whites among the ramekins.
5. Place in the oven and bake until they just being to go slightly brown on top, this takes usually 5-7 minutes. Be very careful not to overcook or the souffles will shrink as they cool down.
6. Remove from the oven and dust lightly with icing sugar and serve.